Friday, February 2, 2007

Change from Mr. Sherman's Blog

I am still learning blogging etiquette so I am breaking it by copying and pasting this in my blog, please let me know. I take time to read several blogs and read Mr. Sherman's Blog fairly regulary http://blog109.org/communities/dsherman/default.aspx. When I pulled it up this morning, I loved what I read...

Change Is Hard...
Change was hard … for my parents, who grew up with a big, floor-standing radio as the only electronic entertainment in their lives. They still reminisce about the “good old days” when they would stare at the radio and listen to shows like
“The Shadow,” “The Lone Ranger,” and “The Jack Benny Program.”
Change was hard… when they finally bought their first television set, and they complained that “you no longer needed to use your imagination” when you watched TV.
Change was hard… for my dad to finally succumb to years of constant pressure from me and my sisters to buy a color TV set when the black and white set worked perfectly well. “What do you need color for when you are watching on a little screen?"
Change was hard… for me when my friend, Steve, who worked in a record store, first told me that the music publishers would stop making vinyl records in the next few months. I was in shock and disbelief. I knew that CD technology was the new fad, but records would always be the best way to listen to music, right? There was a special feeling when you physically placed the needle down on the record and hit the blank spot between songs on the very first try. I remember spending hours reading the album covers and liner notes as I wore out my old records.
Change was hard… when I finally purchased my first CD player (an old
Denon machine) and my first CD (Talking Heads, “Naked” 1988 release). I was blown away by the clarity of the sound and the ease in which I could call up a song. “You mean you can actually shuffle the songs and listen to them in a different order than they were burned onto the disc? Cool.” But, I had such a hard time reading the little print on the 5 X 5 inch sheet of paper that came inside the case. And placing the disc on the little tray that slid out of the machine was fun at first, but it was just not the same as carefully placing the phonograph needle down on the record.
Change WILL be hard… for me when the next wave of innovations takes over. I experienced a brief flash-forward into the future as I was driving to work the other day. I heard the morning DJ (Lin Brehmer) on my favorite radio station (
WXRT in Chicago) talking about the future of the entertainment industry. He predicted that within the next five to ten years, all of our music, movies, videos, even books, newspapers, and magazines will be available via internet downloads. I know we already are able to access these media from the internet. What Lin Brehmer was referring to was that the internet will be the ONLY way to purchase our favorite media. No more CDs, DVDs, books, magazines, or newspapers for sale. No more opening that shrink wrap (does anyone else have trouble opening a new CD package besides me?) to get to the new disc and liner notes (small as they may be). No more ink on my fingers from the sports section of the Chicago Tribune.
Well, this digital immigrant is having a hard time wrapping his brain around this change. My kids, on the other hand, have stopped asking for music on CDs as birthday and holiday gifts. Instead, they ask for
iTunes gift cards. For them, this is not change; this is the way it is supposed to be. They truly are digital natives. They want the music on their iPods fast and easy. No need to get a ride to the store to spend hours looking through the stacks to find the best new music or an old greatest hits compilation that you did not know existed. Does that bring back memories?
Change will be hard… but I will adjust."


I wonder, how are schools going to keep up with these changes? We can't keep doing things the way we have always done them!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At February 2, 2007 at 9:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunny, as I read through Mr. Shernan's blog, I realized that my parents were not of that generation. Instead, we had colour tv, 8 tracks, cassettes and cd's. Records were never a big thing. We played video games and taped movies on the VCR. Change was part of life albeit not as rapidly as the change today. Now, I get itunes cards so I don't have to cd shop and Amazon is a great place to browse. Mayb, just maybe, we are at a point in education where change isn't such a big deal. I'm sure hoping so because there is a need to embrace the technology. BTW, thanks for the book suggestion.

 
At February 3, 2007 at 12:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunny,
I am actually thrilled that you copied and pasted my post into your blog. I am happy that someone is reading my blog! It is interesting to watch my kids grow up with technology we never even dreamed of when we were young. My nine year old cruises around the web like she was born with a mouse in her hand!

I'm accepting the changes taking place; I'm even embracing them. However, I do miss the old days of record albums. Unfortunately my entire collection was ruined in a basement flood we experienced last October. Major bummer.
Thanks again,
Dave

 
At February 4, 2010 at 10:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Skip Laggin Downloads Using NZB Downloads You Can Swiftly Search HD Movies, Games, Music, Software and Download Them at Accelerated Rates

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Usenet[/B][/URL]

 
At March 21, 2010 at 12:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It isn't hard at all to start making money online in the underground world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat seo world[/URL], It's not a big surprise if you don't know what blackhat is. Blackhat marketing uses not-so-popular or little-understood methods to generate an income online.

 
At January 31, 2013 at 3:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Прошу прощения, который я вмешиваюсь, хотел бы предложить другое решение. [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve-bani/58-stroitelstvo-turetskoy-bani.html]ремонт квартир недорого[/url]

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home