Thursday, February 15, 2007

Memories of Great Teachers

It's been a while since my last post because of my grandmother's death a little over a week ago. Attending visitations and the funeral really made me reflect on what a wonderful woman she was and the legacy she left behind after a long life as a mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and teacher. Through the week, I heard many people talk about both her and my grandfather and the impact they had on the lives of students as teachers and coach. Here is what I heard from former students and from my family:
  • They taught us how to live a moral, Christ-like life.
  • They taught us how to serve others.
  • They taught us to work hard.
  • They taught us to persevere.
  • They taught us to love others--despite our differences.
  • They taught us to value books.
  • They taught us to never stop learning.
  • They taught us that you don't have to be mean to be in control.
  • They taught us to earn students' respect--you can't just demand it because of a job title.
  • They taught us to remember the sacrifices of others.
  • They taught us to be selfless instead of selfish.
  • They taught us to have high expectations of ourselves and others.
  • They taught us to begin and end each day with prayer and to pray for loved ones by name.
  • They taught us to make the best of whatever situation we find ourselves in even when we don't understand why we are in it.
  • They taught us to look for the bright side of things.
  • They taught us the value of sitting down at a table and eating together.
  • They taught us to value education.
  • They taught us the joy in taking care of loved ones.

I pray that when I die, my family, friends, and former students can say at least some of what was said this past week of my grandparents...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home