Saturday, September 29, 2007

I Entered the Day Thinking, "I Can't Believe I Thought This Was A Good Idea"

Yesterday I used a strategy that I utilized as a principal with the staff and participated in as a conference attendee, and suprising enough, it worked! The Strategy--Jr. Raider Cafe (You can substitute your mascott for Jr. Raider). Earlier this week, I asked students to bring their favorite book with them on Friday so they could participate in the Jr Raider Cafe. I also allowed them to bring to share with their classmates. I typed up a "menu" that had several "courses" of questions that would guide a small group discussion on the book of their choice.

This activity is great because it allows participants to talk with each other, to move around the room, to share their ideas, and to learn with their peers. Yesterday morning, I was questioning my planning this activity because participants talk with each other, move around the room, share their ideas, and learn with their peers. I was pleasantly suprised when it went well with every class! Of course it was noisy, but I listened to great conversations about books. The hilight was when two students asked to go to the media center together so they could swap books! Even my most challenging class handled themselves well!

I am so glad it was successful, but I am also so glad it is over...Until the next time we have a Jr. Raider Cafe (the kids are already asking for it again.)

If you want a copy of the menu, just let me know, and I'll be happy to share.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home